Moving Experts

Cash in on Federal Tax Credits Just by Making These Three Additions

Posted on October 19th, 2010 by

If you are searching for a great excuse to implement a greener living strategy, consider moving into a new home. Going green has many benefits, but perhaps the best incentive is the money you get back from the government.

At the end of December this year, federal tax credits for energy efficient appliances and additions will expire. Now is the time to act if you want to cash in on these credits. Three ways to go green (and in turn, see some green) is to install new windows, insulate your house, and make your roof reflective.

You don’t have to go through your entire home replacing windows to get this credit. You qualify simply if you add an energy efficient window where there wasn’t one before. The windows you install must have U-Factor and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient ratings of 0.30 or less. The U-Factor rating measures the efficiency of the window’s insulation, while the SHGC rates the amount of sunlight that gets blocked. The tax credit doesn’t just apply to windows, however. Use it for sliding glass doors, skylights, and storm windows.

Insulation is the most basic way to maximize energy in your home. Cooler summers and warmer winters are easily accomplished with this easy addition. Get a tax credit if you add rolls, blow-in fibers, rigid boards, weather stripping, and caulk to your new home. As long as it helps air seal your house, and the product comes with a Manufacturer’s Certification Statement, you should be good to go.

Installing a roof with either metal or asphalt can lead to another tax credit for 2010. Metal roofs need pigmented coating and asphalt roofs require cooling granules. Both need the Manufacturer’s Certification Statement in order to qualify. Don’t go through the motions of installing a new roof if your home has ample shade, unless it’s in need of repair right away.

By adding Energy Star certified windows, insulation, and a new roof soon after relocating, you could be seeing a return of up to 30% of what you spent from the government. Up to $1,500 is covered, but it excludes the cost of labor and installation. You must have everything installed and paid for before the New Year in order to take advantage of these tax credits. Simply file Tax Form 5695 next season, and enjoy seeing the extra bump on your tax return.

Tags: green living, new home, strategy

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 at 9:42 am and is filed under Moving Experts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply